National

Iran Condemns US Envoy’s ‘Extremist’ Remarks on Israeli Claims Over Arab Lands

Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Saturday condemned remarks by US Ambassador to Tel Aviv Mike Huckabee suggesting it would be “fine” if Israel took control of territory spanning much of the Middle East.

In a statement, Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei denounced Huckabee’s comments as endorsing the seizure of Arab and Islamic lands “from the Nile to the Euphrates” by Israel.

“Iran, in unison with the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, condemns these extremist ideological rhetorics,” the spokesperson said. “Such statements embolden the occupying regime in continuing its crimes against the Palestinians and its ongoing acts of aggression against countries in the region.”

Huckabee made the remarks in an interview with conservative commentator Tucker Carlson on Friday. During the interview, Carlson said that, according to the Bible, the descendants of Abraham were promised land that today would encompass essentially the entire Middle East, and asked Huckabee whether Israel had a right to that territory.

“It would be fine if they took it all,” Huckabee replied.

He later added that his comment about Israel taking “all” the land had been somewhat “hyperbolic,” stressing that Israel was not seeking territorial expansion but had a right to security within the land it “legitimately” holds.

The territory referenced in the exchange would include modern-day Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Iraq and parts of Saudi Arabia.

The comments drew swift condemnation from regional governments, including Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman, as well as the League of Arab States. In separate statements, they described the remarks as “extremist,” “provocative” and inconsistent with Washington’s official position.