World Economy
0

Samsung Expecting $5.3b Profit Loss

Samsung Expecting $5.3b Profit LossSamsung Expecting $5.3b Profit Loss

Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Friday said it expected to take a hit to its operating profit of about $3 billion over the next two quarters due to the discontinuation of its fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 smartphone.

The outlook brings to about $5.3 billion the total losses the global smartphone leader has forecast as a result of the overheating issues, after it said on Wednesday it would suffer a $2.3 billion hit to third-quarter profit, Reuters reported.

The premium device that was meant to compete with Apple Inc’s latest iPhones at the top end of the smartphone market had to be scrapped earlier this week, less than two months after its launch, due to safety fears.

The South Korean tech giant said in a statement on Friday it expected the blow to profit to be in the mid-3 trillion won over the next two quarters—in the mid-2 trillion won range in the October-December period and about 1 trillion won ($900 million) for the first quarter of 2017.

Samsung shares, which have fallen about 8% this week, edged up 0.6% on Friday, versus a 0.5% gain on the broader market.

To make up for the lost revenue, Samsung said it would expand sales of gadgets like the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge phones, and make “significant changes” in its quality assurance processes to improve product safety.

Investors and analysts said that while the company had to move quickly to reassure the market about the potential financial costs, deeper losses from one of the tech industry’s most spectacular product failures could not be ruled out.

Samsung posted earnings of $7.2 billion in the second quarter, with mobile profits—its biggest earner—soaring 57%.

 

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Financialtribune.com