34524
62 People as Wealthy as World’s 3.6b Poorest
World Economy

62 People as Wealthy as World’s 3.6b Poorest

Politicians and business leaders gathering in the Swiss Alps this week face an increasingly divided world, with the poor falling further behind the super-rich and political fissures in the United States, Europe and the Middle East running deeper than at any time in decades.
Just 62 people, 53 of them men, own as much wealth as the poorest half of the entire world population–or 3.6 billion people–according to a report released by anti-poverty charity Oxfam, CNBC reported.
And the richest 1% own more than the other 99% put together.
Significantly, the wealth gap is widening faster than anyone anticipated, with the 1% overtaking the rest one year earlier than Oxfam had predicted only a year ago.
In 2010 it took 388 super-rich individuals to equal the wealth of the poorest half of the world’s population. While this number has fallen to just 62 individuals, the amount of “wealth” held by the poorest half has shrunk by $1 trillion in the same period, the charity calculated.
Rising inequality and a widening trust gap between people and their political leaders are big challenges for the global elite as they converge on Davos for the annual World Economic Forum, which runs from Jan. 20 to 23.

 

Short URL : https://goo.gl/j8LNga
  1. https://goo.gl/EAxaBN
  • https://goo.gl/WGZ71l
  • https://goo.gl/Ta05JG
  • https://goo.gl/CdJ0Xu
  • https://goo.gl/gYXBYj

You can also read ...

Report says China’s economic development must rely on integration between innovation and industrial production,  and work must be done to ensure that innovation progress was passed on to production.
China's new economy will account for an estimated 12% of the...
The process of building a new government could take weeks, so markets may well move on from the result quickly.
Politics dominated trading on Monday, with the euro sliding as...
World countries are casting a shadow on the future of the global economic system.
Next month, when finance ministers and central bank governors...
The economy’s return to growth has eased pressure  on the authorities.
Now that Nigeria’s economy is recovering from its worst slump...
One mining services company said it laid off more than 50 employees.
New laws and a crackdown on mining firms in Tanzania has...
Securitization a Key Funding Tool for European Economy
Analysis of European Central Bank and Bank of England data...
US to See Slower Growth
The pace of US economic growth will stay stuck in the low 2%...
The Housing Pulse rose again, as the shortage of supply and increasing demand for properties continues to bite.
Bank of Ireland’s monthly Economic Pulse report, which...

Trending

Googleplus