Travel
0

Funds for Restoration of Kermanshah's Historical Sites

Funds for Restoration of Kermanshah's Historical SitesFunds for Restoration of Kermanshah's Historical Sites

To restore the quake-stricken historical heritage sites in Kermanshah Province, a sizable budget of 235 billion rials ($5.2 million) have been allocated by the government.

The 7.3-magnitude earthquake rocked the province and regions bordering Iraq on Nov. 12, 2017, leaving over 500 people dead and injuring thousands of others.

Some of the province's monuments have been damaged by the quake, compelling heritage authorities to implement restoration measures, YJC reported. According to Jalil Balaei, the head of the provincial office of Iran's Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism Organization, the budget will be spent on sites in the poorest structural conditions.

Taq Bostan, Kermanshah Bazaar, Bisotun and Temple of Anahita have been prioritized.  Elaborating on the share of each heritage site, Balaei announced that Taq Bostan needs 90 billion rials ($2 million), Kermanshah Bazaar and Bisotun need 60 billion rials ($1.3 million) each and the Temple of Anahita requires 20 billion rials ($440,000) for their complete restoration.

Earlier surveys had shown that Shah Abbasi Caravanserai, Khosro Mansion and Chahar-Qapi in Qasr-e Shirin, Yazdgerd Castle in Dalahou and Zaj Manijeh in Sarpol-Zahab were partially damaged.

Fortunately, the country’s oldest petroglyphs, Anubanini rock relief and Taq-e Gara Fort in Sarpol-Zahab survived the quake. The official hoped renovations will have a satisfactory progress by the end of the current Iranian year (March 20).

According to the official, the government maintains its strong focus on tourism and handicrafts development in Kermanshah and will soon fund projects for marketing ecotourism, promoting ritual and traditional celebrations and launching handicraft workshops.

Stressing that every village in the country has the capacity to have at least one eco-lodge, Balaei said five lodging spaces have been launched in the province so far.

"Some 50 applications from 34 villages to set up an eco-lodge have also been received by the ICHHTO office and will soon be reviewed," he said.

 

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Financialtribune.com