Sports
0

Malaysia Signs Off From F1 With a Larger Turnout

Fans react as they watch the podium finish in Malaysia Grand Prix 2017 in Sepang, October 1.Fans react as they watch the podium finish in Malaysia Grand Prix 2017 in Sepang, October 1.

Malaysia gave Formula One a rousing send-off on Sunday with the country’s last Grand Prix drawing its largest turnout in four years.

Organizers said a total of 110,604 spectators went to Sepang International Circuit near Kuala Lumpur’s international airport over the three days of practice, qualifying and Sunday’s race.

That was the largest weekend turnout since 2013, the season before Formula One replaced the screaming 2.4 liter V8 engines with quieter 1.6 liter turbo-hybrid power units. It was also 31.9% more than last year.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said it was a sentimental moment, Reuters reported. “We have hosted this for 19 years and I think we have seen some thrilling events,” he told reporters at a news conference with Formula One Chief Executive Chase Carey, adding that an eventual return could not be ruled out.

Malaysia made its debut in 1999 and pioneered the sport’s regional push, with Japan until then the only other country in Asia to have a race. China and Singapore, with a spectacular night race, have followed.

“We’ve had a great history here. But change is part of life. We’re actually very excited about the opportunities we have in Asia in general. We have a number of places where we have great interest and new opportunities to continue to grow the sport,” said Carey, who replaced former supremo Bernie Ecclestone in January.

Singapore has just signed a fresh four-year deal securing its place on the calendar until 2021, while China’s latest agreement runs to at least 2020.

Ticket prices for Sepang were slashed by 82% this year but crowds have been on the wane, particularly since 2014 despite the domination of Mercedes backed by state-owned oil giant Petronas.

Officials say tourism returns have also been diminishing while the high hosting fees have made the event financially unviable.

The country’s annual MotoGP race draws much bigger crowds.

Sepang CEO Razlan Razali told Reuters on Friday that Malaysia would not want to host Formula One even if it were offered for free, with the sport not serving up enough excitement to draw in the local crowds.

“The attraction for the Malaysian fans is the problem, especially since 2014. That is something that for us as a promoter is difficult to sell,” he said on Sunday.

 

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Financialtribune.com