17224
Ebola Crisis Prompts $100m WHO Contingency Fund
People

Ebola Crisis Prompts $100m WHO Contingency Fund

The World Health Organization is to set up a $100m contingency fund following the Ebola outbreak, its director-general announced.
Speaking in Geneva, Margaret Chan said the WHO had been overwhelmed by the epidemic in West Africa, BBC News website reported.
She said the demands were more than 10 times greater than anything else it had experienced.
The Ebola outbreak was first reported in March 2014 and is believed to have claimed more than 11,000 lives.
The WHO and Chan had faced criticism for the slow international response to the epidemic.
“With the support of member states, I am establishing a $100m contingency fund, financed by flexible voluntary contributions, to ensure we have the necessary resources available to immediately mount an initial response,” Chan told WHO’s annual meeting.
She also said that, among other measures, she was putting in place a new “unified” program to help deal with health emergencies.
“I do not ever again want to see this organization faced with a situation it is not prepared, staffed, funded, or administratively set up to manage,” she said.
“We will move forward on an urgent footing. I plan to complete these changes by the end of the year.”
Chan added that the Ebola outbreak “shook WHO to its core” but she hoped the reforms would help give it “new relevance and empower it to lead in global health”.
Earlier, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told the annual meeting’s opening session that the WHO had to streamline its management to respond quickly to crises like Ebola.
“We ought to have reacted far earlier,” she said.
“I am convinced that if we act faster and have a clear command structure in place, we will be better equipped to combat a crisis like Ebola next time that happens.”
The Ebola outbreak was the deadliest occurrence of the disease since its discovery in 1976.
The first confirmed cases occurred in south-eastern Guinea early last year and spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Mali.
Liberia recently became the first of the three hardest-hit countries to be declared free of the virus, after 42 days without any new cases.

 

Short URL : http://goo.gl/SOC2Wg

You can also read ...

One of Tehran’s clogged streets. Mohsen Hashemi Rafsanjani (inset).
The new Tehran City Council will focus on rule of law,...
HIV Prevalence Rates
Around 34,000 HIV-positive people have been identified in Iran...
Gunmen Kill Soldier
Gunmen attacked a government building in a small town in...
Four Tourist Projects in Hormozgan
Four tourist projects will be inaugurated next week in...
Rise in Electric Shock Fatalities
During the first quarter of this fiscal (started in March), 21...
Putting People to Work
During the last fiscal (ended in March), the Imam Khomeini...
Specialized Hospital in Isfahan
A specialized hospital opened in Isfahan on Monday in a...
With resistance to antibiotics becoming more common, there is greater need for alternative treatments.
According to data released by the Food and Waterborne Diseases...

Trending

Googleplus