65146
Hospitals' failure to comply with the rules will have dire health and environmental consequences.
Hospitals' failure to comply with the rules will have dire health and environmental consequences.

Tehran Hospitals Warned Over Poor Waste Management

Tehran Hospitals Warned Over Poor Waste Management

Thirty hospitals in Tehran have poor waste management strategies, the head of Tehran Province's office of the Department of Environment said.
Mohammad Hossein Bazgir added that the hospitals, whose names were not revealed, have been warned over disposal of hazardous wastes and given a deadline to redress the problems, ISNA reported.
"If they fail to fix the issues, we'll take legal action," he said.
Bazgir noted that there are eight hospitals with poor wastewater management who have also received official notices.
The sprawling capital is home to 158 hospitals and clinics.
Authorities have repeatedly warned hospitals that their failure to comply with the rules will have dire health and environmental consequences. Healthcare waste contains potentially harmful microorganisms, which can infect hospital patients and staff, the public and the environment at large.
According to the World Health Organization, of the total amount of waste generated by hospitals, about 85% are general, non-hazardous waste.  However, the remaining 15% are considered hazardous that may be infectious, toxic or radioactive and their disastrous effects linger for over 50 years.
Despite their importance, waste and wastewater treatment facilities are not usually considered in hospital designs, due to their high costs.  
"Regular monitoring of hospitals by relevant bodies is essential in ensuring hospitals’ compliance with environmental codes,” Ali Mohammad Shaeri, the head of Majlis Agriculture, Water and Natural Resources Commission, suggested in an earlier report by ISNA.
“The Ministry of Health must provide public hospitals with sufficient budget to set up wastewater treatment facilities.”
Currently, only 60% of the country’s hospitals are following regulations for proper handling of hazardous materials, while 30-40% still need to use better methods for disposing their wastes.
Hospital waste accounts for approximately 1-2% of the total urban waste in Iran and requires special attention and management for disposal.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/wU6XIG
  1. https://goo.gl/fa2ES5
  • https://goo.gl/czahmZ
  • https://goo.gl/A4bvnf
  • https://goo.gl/uqdIQz
  • https://goo.gl/OoMGDi

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Trending

Googleplus