45399
Southern African States Seek $2.7b in Drought Relief
People, Environment

Southern African States Seek $2.7b in Drought Relief

Southern African countries will launch an appeal for $2.7 billion to cope with the effects of the region’s worst drought in more than three decades, which has left 23 million people in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
Ian Khama, who is president of Botswana and chairman of the 15-country Southern African Development Community, will this month declare a regional disaster because of the drought and start an appeal for support, SADC said in an emailed statement on Tuesday.
The declarations enable international financial assistance, Bloomberg reported.
The El Nino-induced drought damaged crops from palm oil, rice and sugar in Asia to grains in southern Africa and robusta coffee in South America.
About 60 million people worldwide face a lack of food because of the phenomenon that has scorched harvests in some areas and caused floods in others, the United Nations said last week.
Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe have declared national emergencies while eight of South Africa’s nine provinces have done the same.
“The appeal will be a formal request to the international community to provide assistance to affected member states,” SADC said. “The severe drought conditions have already taken a toll on lives and livelihoods and the situation could deteriorate further if urgent assistance is not provided.”
The southern African region has been hit by two successive failed rainy seasons that resulted in heat-waves in the southern-most countries and flooding in the northern ones.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/K2N5Zm
  1. http://goo.gl/aRhBkH
  • http://goo.gl/NLC18j
  • http://goo.gl/6jnf5a
  • http://goo.gl/kumjMz
  • http://goo.gl/5nLJK9

You can also read ...

Subway to Expand
Tehran Mayor Mohammad Ali Najafi said Friday that Tehran’s...
Trump Largely Blamed for US Tourist Decline, Losses
International tourism to the US fell significantly in early...
Train to Bring Tourists From 11 Countries to Iran
Tourists from 11 countries are expected to arrive in Iran on...
Junk Food Ban in Schools
The Health Ministry has sent a directive to schools across the...
Currently, an estimated 10% of Iranian women are affected by the virus.
Research suggests that ovarian cancer is the most common cause...
Of the over 12,000 cell phone towers in Tehran, almost 90% were put up without a permit.
The explosion of cell phone use in Iran has compelled...
UK Tourist Record in July
The number of overseas visitors to the UK topped four million...
Gas Explosion Kills 5
A gas explosion in a guesthouse near the mausoleum of Fatima...

Trending

Googleplus