National
0

Need for Contingency to Counter Likely Saudi Moves

Need for Contingency to Counter Likely Saudi Moves  Need for Contingency to Counter Likely Saudi Moves

A lawmaker has called on the Foreign Ministry to monitor Saudi measures and tactics after Mohammad bin Salman's elevation to crown prince, underling the need to put high on the agenda preparation of "necessary contingency plans" to counter possible hostile moves.  

"No country should be ruled by an arrogant and inexperienced young man, [and since this is going to be the case in Saudi Arabia] we are expecting to see some changes which should be carefully observed by the Foreign Ministry" ICANA quoted Ali Akbari as saying on Tuesday.

Saudi King Salman appointed his son, the 31-year-old Mohammed bin Salman, as heir, in a major reshuffle announced last Wednesday.

The prince already held key positions in the national hierarchy. Two years ago his father appointed him defense minister and also placed him in overall charge of the country's oil industry, the source of the kingdom's wealth.

Since then bin Salman's defense and foreign policy decisions have been largely driven by his bravado, and his reckless and irresponsible attitude.

He spearheaded the ongoing Saudi-led military onslaught in pauperized Yemen which has been an unmitigated disaster for the oil kingdom and the defenseless Yemeni civilians. More than 10,000 people have been killed since March 2015, the UN says.

According to the New York Times, The chaotic early months of the campaign gave him a reputation in some parts of the Obama administration as "reckless and hotheaded."

In unusually blunt comments, he has also ruled out any dialogue with Iran and pledged to defend his conservative kingdom from what he called Tehran's efforts to dominate the Muslim world.

Akbari said it is anticipated that bin Salman's "nonsensical ways" may change in the future, noting that he will be made to adjust his behavior in accordance with international norms and conventions.

"Although he has threatened Iran before, it does not seem that these threats can be put to practice," the legislator said, calling on the Saudi rulers to proceed with more tact in their foreign policy.

  Advocating Peace 

Lawmaker Hossein Naqavi Hosseini, spokesman for the Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said Iran does not want tension or dispute with any country, stressing the fact that the country has always favored peaceful foreign relations with good neighborliness

"Iran has never been, and will not be, in favor of conflict. Our defense strategy is [based on] deterrence [and is] not offensive," he said, recalling that "we have never started a war with any country."

However, any action against the country's security "will be met with a crushing response", the parliamentarian warned, noting that “we are able to nip any threat in the bud".

"We believe that regional countries should solve their problems through dialogue, patience and dexterity" he concluded.

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Financialtribune.com