James Mattis

US Not Mulling Mideast Military Buildup Over Iran

US Defense Secretary James Mattis said on Saturday he was not considering hiking the number of US forces in the Middle East to address Iran's "misbehavior" at this time, but asserted that the world would not ignore Iranian activities.
US President Donald Trump has vowed a more aggressive policy against Tehran and his administration is warning of concrete action if Iran does not curb its ballistic missile program and continues support for its allies in regional conflicts.
The US announced new sanctions on Friday, just two days after the Trump administration put Iran "on notice" following a ballistic missile test.
Mattis said putting Iran on notice was worthwhile, given its behavior, Reuters reported. 
"As far as Iran goes, this is the single biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world and I think it is wise to make certain that Iran recognizes that what it is doing is getting the attention of a lot of people," Mattis claimed in a news conference in Tokyo in his most detailed remarks on Iran since taking over the Pentagon. Still, he firmly played down the idea of any military buildup.
"I don't see any need to increase the number of forces we have in the Middle East at this time. That's not in the cards right now," he said. "We always have the capability to do so. But right now I don't think it's necessary."

  Other Actions 
The US has already sent a Navy destroyer to patrol off the coast of Yemen to protect waterways from Houthi fighters aligned with Iran.
But there are other actions Washington could take, including giving greater priority to rotating aircraft carriers through the Persian Gulf. There is currently no US aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf, for example. The US Navy maintains that having a robust presence helps deter any moves by Iran to block that strategic waterway. 
In 2008 and 2010, the Islamic Republic threatened to disrupt oil shipping in the Persian Gulf by shutting the Strait of Hormuz if there were any attack on its nuclear sites. However, Iran has never made an attempt to do that. 
Mattis said ignoring Iranian behavior—something former president Barack Obama's critics routinely accused him of doing—would not work.
"It does no good to ignore it; it does no good to dismiss it," Mattis said, without citing Obama or his policies. The White House has said that while the latest sanctions were a reaction to recent events, they had been under consideration before. It added that a landmark 2015 deal to curb Iran's nuclear program was not in the best interest of the United States.
Iran denounced the sanctions as illegal and said it would impose legal restrictions on American individuals and entities helping "regional terrorist groups", state TV quoted a Foreign Ministry statement as saying.
Those affected under the sanctions cannot access the US financial system or deal with US companies and are subject to secondary sanctions, meaning foreign companies and individuals are prohibited from dealing with them or risk being blacklisted by the United States.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/FELHPU
  1. https://goo.gl/Xo49Al
  • https://goo.gl/b8dlYh
  • https://goo.gl/3O3Ihe
  • https://goo.gl/1PI52z
  • https://goo.gl/uJEJ9R

You can also read ...

Military Delegation Visits Turkey
An Iranian military delegation led by a deputy defense...
Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei meets the chairman and other members of the Assembly of Experts in Tehran on March 15.
Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei...
Pause in Naval Tensions in Persian Gulf
The US Navy claimed on Thursday the Iranian military’s...
"Delusional" MBS Has No Idea of Politics
Iran's Foreign Ministry says Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin...
US House Panel Votes to Sanction Iran for Alleged Rights Abuses
The US House Committee on Foreign Affairs on Thursday passed...
Tehran to Reject Any Side Deal to JCPOA
Iran ruled out the possibility of acceding to a side deal...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints