48636
Pledge to Restore Rights of Hajj Tragedy Victims
National

Pledge to Restore Rights of Hajj Tragedy Victims

A hajj official said Iran will spare no effort to restore the rights of the victims of a deadly crush during last year's hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
Head of the Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization Saeed Ohadi said on Saturday a meeting was held last Wednesday, which was attended by Deputy Foreign Minister Hassan Qashqavi and other officials "to review the legal and judicial aspects of the crush," which took place during the annual rituals in Mina, near the holy city of Mecca, on September 24, 2015.
He said the Foreign Ministry is in charge of pursuing the legal aspects of the Mina tragedy or any other incidents that involves Iranians overseas, Press TV reported.
The deputy foreign minister submitted a comprehensive report during the meeting. No details on the report were available.
Ohadi said it has been agreed that the families of the victims present their complaints to the Foreign Ministry and the office of the prosecutor general within a week so that they "would use various domestic and international tools to restore the rights of the families of the Mina tragedy martyrs and undertake  follow-up measures."
"After receiving the complaints, the ministry and the office of the prosecutor general will meet within 10 days to examine the legal aspects in a better way," Ohadi said.
More than 2,400 people, including at least 460 Iranian pilgrims, lost their lives in the stampede.
The tragic incident took place when two large masses of pilgrims converged at a crossroads during the symbolic ceremony of the stoning of the devil in Jamarat.
Saudi Arabia claims that nearly 770 people were killed in the incident.
Iran has canceled the participation of its pilgrims in this year's hajj rituals in September due to Saudi Arabia's creation of obstacles in the way of Iranians seeking to perform the ritual.
The two countries do not have diplomatic relations. The kingdom severed ties after a group of hardliners attacked its embassy in Tehran and the Saudi  consulate in Mashhad in January.   

 

Short URL : http://goo.gl/36u1Dx
  1. http://goo.gl/OcsJQP
  • http://goo.gl/fNfTbP
  • http://goo.gl/0W4qgL
  • http://goo.gl/R1hoZ1
  • http://goo.gl/q7wFfK

You can also read ...

Mogherini Says Pompeo’s Rambling Unneeded, Unhelpful
The European Union’s top diplomat on Monday swept aside US...
MPs Want Gov’t to Rethink Relations  With UAE
A group of lawmakers has sent a letter to President Hassan...
CIA Boss Turned Secretary Unfit Policymaker
Iran has strongly rejected US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's...
US Complicit in Killing of Unarmed Palestinians
Judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani condemned the...
EU Verbal Support of Little Value
A lawmaker played down the recent statement issued by the EU...
Friendly, Constructive Ties With All Iraqi Groups
Iran’s senior envoy to Baghdad has dismissed speculation about...

Trending

Googleplus