National
0

US-Saudi Statement on Region Lacks Profundity

US-Saudi Statement on Region Lacks Profundity US-Saudi Statement on Region Lacks Profundity

Lawmakers questioned the credibility of a recent joint statement by Riyadh and Washington that accused Iran of destabilizing the region, and described it as part of the propaganda campaign aimed at promoting Iranophobia.

The statement was released after a meeting between US President Barack Obama and Saudi deputy crown prince and defense minister, Mohammed bin Salman, in Washington last week.

The statement said Obama and the controversial prince discussed what they called "Iran's destabilizing activities" in the region, according to the White House official website.

In a talk with ICANA on Monday, lawmaker Mohammad Javad Jamali said, "The US and Saudi Arabia are the main culprits behind the instability in the region."

Describing Iran as a "powerful regional player" he said, "If it weren't for Iran, many regional countries would have been demolished" by terrorists.

Hossein Naqavi Hosseini, spokesperson for the Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said it is public knowledge that most terror outfits and mercenary groups have been created, bankrolled and sustained by the House of Saud.

"Everyone knows that the Saudi regime is the main cause of the terrorism-induced crises in the Middle East, which has led to the emergence of terrorist groups like the Taliban, al Qaeda and Daesh," he said, using an Arabic acronym to refer to the so-called Islamic State terror group.

He also blamed Riyadh for intensified sectarian tensions between Shias and Sunnis.

"It is a shame that the United States, which poses as an advocate of anti-terrorism praises the role of a state supporter of terrorism."

Obama, in the statement, appreciated Saudi Arabia for what he called its contributions to the fight against IS.

Another member of the commission Morteza Saffari Natanzi said such statements "do not carry credibility in diplomatic circles."

Financialtribune.com