National
0

Task Force Pursuing US Seizure of Iranian Assets

Task Force Pursuing US Seizure of Iranian AssetsTask Force Pursuing US Seizure of Iranian Assets

A task force is preparing a lawsuit to see into the United States' seizure of Iranian assets, a top Foreign Ministry official said.

Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi made the announcement while speaking at an event in Kharazmi University in Tehran on Sunday, Press TV reported.

"The government has formed a special task force in this regard," he said, adding that an investigation is underway.

Iranian lawyers are pondering on "how to deal with the seizure of two billion dollars of Iranian assets", he said.

Araqchi also commented on the US purchase of heavy water from Iran.

"The US has applied for 32 tons of Iran's heavy water. We are also in negotiations with Russia over the same amount," said the high-ranking official, noting that the deal with the US had been clinched.

Araqchi also said Iran is "continuing the production of heavy water" and is in talks to sell more of the highly sought-after product.

His remarks came as anti-Iran measures are underway in the US Congress to undermine efforts by the Democratic administration of US President Barack Obama to implement the July 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and six major powers, including the US.

Last month, the US government completed an $8.6-million deal to buy 32 tons of heavy water from Iran. Last Wednesday, 251 American lawmakers voted for a bill that would prohibit such purchases next year. The measure is yet to be approved by the US Senate.

 

Financialtribune.com