85328
The militants said the campaign was a response to a more aggressive US military strategy adopted last year.
The militants said the campaign was a response to a more aggressive US military strategy adopted last year.

Taliban Announce Spring Offensive

Despite the Afghan president’s offer in February for peace talks “without preconditions”, the Taliban, in their statement on Wednesday, dismissed the peace overtures as a “conspiracy” announcing start of their annual spring offensive

Taliban Announce Spring Offensive

The Taliban announced the start of their annual spring offensive on Wednesday, dismissing an offer for peace talks by President Ashraf Ghani but pledging to focus on US forces in Afghanistan.
The announcement marks the symbolic start of the fighting season, but heavy fighting has been going on in different parts of the country and hundreds of people have been killed and wounded in a series of high profile attacks in Kabul since the beginning of the year, despite Ghani’s offer in February for peace talks “without preconditions”, Reuters reported.
The Taliban, in their statement on Wednesday, dismissed the peace overtures as a “conspiracy”.
“Their main effort is to deviate public opinion from the illegitimate foreign occupation of the country, as the Americans have no serious or sincere intentions of bringing the war to an end,” the Taliban said.
The militants said the campaign was a response to a more aggressive US military strategy adopted last year, which aims to force the militants into peace talks.
“Its primary target will be the American invaders and their intelligence agents. Their internal supporters will be dealt with as a secondary target,” the Taliban said.
Thousands more US troops have been sent to Afghanistan to help train the army, and commanders have been given greater authority to carry out airstrikes against the militants in a major reversal of the previous policy of phased withdrawal of American forces.
As in previous years, the Taliban pledged to protect the lives of civilians, and made no mention of incidents such as an attack it claimed in Kabul in January in which an explosives-packed ambulance blew up, killing about 100 people.

  Risk to Elections
However, the announcement underlines the risk to parliamentary and district council elections due to be held in October as efforts to register voters in remote areas of Afghanistan get underway.
On Sunday, some 60 people were killed in a suicide bombing at a voter registration center in Kabul in an attack claimed by the self-styled Islamic State terror group. There have been a number of other attacks outside the capital.
Estimates of Taliban territorial control vary but the Pentagon estimates that 56% of the country is under government control, while a BBC survey this year estimated the insurgents were active in 70% of the country.
HIGHLIGHT: As in previous years, the Taliban pledged to protect the lives of civilians, but made no mention of incidents such as an attack it claimed in Kabul in January, in which an explosives-packed ambulance blew up, killing about 100 people

 

Short URL : https://goo.gl/rJwNBr
  1. https://goo.gl/zPZn5c
  • https://goo.gl/DNgmgh
  • https://goo.gl/y9BuHy
  • https://goo.gl/55qFyq
  • https://goo.gl/4TDJEG

You can also read ...

Human Rights in Tight Corner
The world is sliding back on human rights and its principles...
Macron Rail Reform Meets Repudiation
Workers at France’s state-owned SNCF rail company on Wednesday...
Venezuela Expels US Diplomats, Rejects Sanctions
Venezuela ordered the expulsion of the top two US diplomats in...
Search for Flight MH370 May Be Scrapped
The hunt for missing flight MH370 is being reviewed and may be...
US President Donald Trump (R) and South Korean President Moon Jae-in in the Oval Office, Washington on May 22
The historic diplomatic encounter planned for three weeks from...
Berri Reelected as Lebanese Speaker
Veteran politician Nabih Berri, a close ally of Hezbollah...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Trending

Googleplus