15 Dead in Suicide Attack on Afghan Funeral
15 Dead in Suicide Attack on Afghan Funeral

15 Dead in Suicide Attack on Afghan Funeral

15 Dead in Suicide Attack on Afghan Funeral

A suicide attacker blew himself up at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, killing at least 15 mourners and wounding another 14, officials said, capping a deadly year for civilians.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Taliban and the self-styled Islamic State terrorist group militants have stepped up assaults in recent months, with ordinary Afghans bearing the brunt of the violence, AFP reported.
“The death toll of the attack targeting a funeral ceremony in Behsud district of Nangarhar has increased to 15,” Nangarhar Governor Spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP.
Another 14 were wounded. All the casualties were civilians.
An earlier statement from the governor’s office said 12 people had been killed in the attack near the provincial capital Jalalabad.
The bomber struck during the funeral ceremony for a former governor of Haska Mina district who died recently of natural causes, the statement said.
Provincial health director Najib Kamawal confirmed the toll.
Photos posted on Twitter and Facebook purportedly of the scene showed pools of blood, clothes and shoes scattered on the ground.
Other photos showed bodies lying in blood and a plume of black smoke rising into the sky. Terrified mourners, mostly elderly men, could be seen running from the scene. While the Taliban is still responsible for the majority of attacks and casualties across Afghanistan, IS militants have been on a rampage this month.
The incident in Nangarhar, a restive province bordering Pakistan and a stronghold for IS, comes days after the group claimed an assault on a Shia cultural centre in Kabul that left 41 people dead and more than 80 wounded.
That followed a Christmas Day attack, also claimed by IS, near an Afghan intelligence agency compound in the Afghan capital that left six civilians dead.
On December 18 militants from the group stormed an intelligence training compound in Kabul, triggering an intense gunfight with police, two of whom were wounded.
The latest news comes at the end of a particularly deadly year for Afghans, with the number of civilian casualties on track to be one of the highest on record since the US invasion in 2001.
More than 8,000 civilians were killed or wounded in conflict-related violence in the first nine months of this year, according to data compiled by the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan.
Last year’s civilian casualty toll of 11,418 was the highest for a single year since the UN began systematically documenting civilian deaths and injuries in 2009.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/khPP33
  1. https://goo.gl/iydN3b
  • https://goo.gl/ezv4bC
  • https://goo.gl/fVCdeT
  • https://goo.gl/yE9Ne3
  • https://goo.gl/gzVdJ6

You can also read ...

Sergey Lavrov
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has condemned the...
Maas to Revive Trilateral Talks With Poland and France
Germany’s new top diplomat Heiko Maas appealed for Poland to...
Ex-FBI Deputy Mccabe, Trump Target, Fired Days Before Retirement
Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, who has endured a...
UN Deeply Alarmed About Civilian Deaths in Besieged Afrin
The United Nations has said that there were alarming reports...
Merkel, Macron Plan Roadmap on Eurozone Reform
French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela...
At Least 15 Dead as Migrant Boat Sinks Off Greek Island
Fifteen people, including at least five children, drowned on...
Taliban Suicide Bomber Targets Foreign Contractors in Kabul
A Taliban suicide car bomber has detonated explosives near to...
Russia Expels 23 UK Diplomats as Fallout Over Nerve Agent Attack Grows
Russia’s Foreign Ministry ordered the expulsion of 23 British...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints