International
0

N. Korea Threatens to Inflict “Disaster” on Australia

Missile launches by the Korean People’s Army at an undisclosed location in North Korea.Missile launches by the Korean People’s Army at an undisclosed location in North Korea.

North Korea threatened Australia of dire consequences if it continues to back US military, economic and diplomatic pressure on Pyongyang, its state-run media said Saturday.

The message on the official KCNA news agency said: “[Australia] will not be able to avoid a disaster,” Anadolu reported.

“Lately, Australia is showing dangerous moves of zealously joining the frenzied political and military provocations of the US,” the news agency added.

The threat came a day after senior Australian officials expressed strong support for Washington during a trip to South Korea.

Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters her country is committed to the North’s denuclearization through diplomacy but is also ready for military action alongside the US.

Bishop said a pair of Australian warships will soon be heading to South Korea as part of their mutual defense agreement.

Pyongyang remains defiant over its development of nuclear weapons despite being hit with stronger UN sanctions last month, following the reclusive state’s sixth ever nuke test.

Meanwhile, Seoul’s Defense Minister Song Young-moo insisted Saturday “now is the very time to show the power of close South Korea-US coordination under the circumstances that North Korea’s threats go on.”

According to local news agency Yonhap, he made the comment while visiting an American guided-missile submarine in Busan.

“The strengthening of the regular rotational deployment of US strategic assets demonstrates the allies’ strong commitment to the defense of the Korean Peninsula,” he added.

  Salvo of Missiles

Meanwhile, in a new incendiary statement, Pyongyang promised to fire “a salvo of missiles” at the US territory of Guam, and keep its hands “closer to trigger” amid major US-South Korea drills involving B-1 bombers and a carrier strike group, RT reported.

As Washington and its Asia-Pacific allies prepare for a joint maritime exercise, the North Korean government issued new threats to target the US territory of Guam. The upcoming war games, which involve the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier, are set to begin on Monday off the shores of South Korea.

An op-ed published by Pyongyang’s KCNA state news agency said: “We have already warned several times that we will take counteractions for self-defense including a salvo of missiles into waters near the US territory of Guam, an advance base for invading the DPRK, where key US bases are located.”

 

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Financialtribune.com