70698

UN: Saudi-Led Bombers Killing Yemeni Children

UN: Saudi-Led Bombers Killing Yemeni Children

The Saudi Arabia-led military coalition was responsible for an “unacceptably high” number of child deaths and injuries in Yemen last year, according to a draft United Nations report.
The United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 - or 51% - to air raids carried out by the Saudi-led coalition, Al Jazeera reported.
The study found 502 Yemeni children were killed and 838 wounded in total in the attacks.
It said nearly three-quarters of air strikes on schools, 38, and hospitals, 52, were carried out by the Saudi-led alliance.
“We call on all sides to avoid any civilian casualties and particularly that of children. And in Yemen, we particularly call on all sides to permit humanitarian access because the situation there is deeply concerning,” said Jonathan Allen, deputy UK ambassador to the UN.
The draft report echoes similar findings from last year when the US-backed coalition was put on a United Nations blacklist for violating child rights.
It was removed by then-secretary-general Ban Ki-moon after Saudi Arabia and other coalition supporters threatened to stop funding UN programs.
But Ban said he stood by the report, which said the UN verified a total of 1,953 young people killed and wounded in Yemen in 2015 —a six-fold increase compared with 2014.
“Now we know there is a draft with the Saudis’ name on it. Let’s hope that when the list finally becomes public in a few weeks they’ll stay there,” Akshaya Kumar, deputy UN director at Human Rights Watch, told Al Jazeera.
Foreign Policy magazine reported on Wednesday that Virgina Gamba, the new UN special representative for children and armed conflict, intends to recommend that the Saudi-led coalition be added to the list of countries that kill and maim children.
UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters on Thursday that Secretary-General Antonio Guterres hasn’t seen the draft report that was leaked. He said its contents are still under discussion and the decision of who will be on the blacklist is up to him.
Haq said Guterres is scheduled to meet Gamba on Friday but the report isn’t expected to be completed for another month.

 

Short URL : https://goo.gl/LChj13
  1. https://goo.gl/xkaQRU
  • https://goo.gl/7oJb8k
  • https://goo.gl/G54JWi
  • https://goo.gl/M82v8u
  • https://goo.gl/bLWmbJ

You can also read ...

Donald Trump (R) and MBS in Riyadh on May 20.
US President Donald Trump gave a speech this week grading his...
Lebanon Army Chief Calls for Readiness at Israel Border
Lebanon’s army chief urged his soldiers on Tuesday to stand...
Russia’s President Vladimir Putin (R) meets with his Syrian counterpart Bashar al-Assad in Sochi on November 20.
Russian President Vladimir Putin hosted Syrian President...
Mugabe’s Four-Decade Rule Ends
Robert Mugabe resigned as Zimbabwe’s president on Tuesday,...
Myanmar Crimes Against Rohingya “Ethnic Cleansing”
Members of US Congress said on Tuesday they were disturbed by...
Donald Trump on Monday promised a rapid escalation  of US Treasury sanctions against the North after adding  its name to a terror blacklist.
China called Tuesday for extra efforts to resolve the North...
Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 50 in Nigeria Mosque
At least 50 people were killed on Tuesday when a suicide...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Trending

Googleplus