67760
S. Korea, US Respond to N. Korean ICBM Test
S. Korea, US Respond to N. Korean ICBM Test

S. Korea, US Respond to N. Korean ICBM Test

S. Korea, US Respond to N. Korean ICBM Test

South Korea and the United States hit back with their own show of force Wednesday, a day after North Korea conducted its first successful intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) test.
According to a statement from Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff cited by local news agency Yonhap, at the suggestion of the South’s leader, Moon Jae-in, and with the agreement of U.S. President Donald Trump, the allies fired “a barrage of missiles” along the east coast of the Korean Peninsula – including the Hyunmoo-2A South Korean indigenous ballistic projectile –Anadolu reported.
“Self-restraint, which is a choice, is all that separates armistice and war,” U.S. Forces Korea Commander (USFK) Gen. Vincent K. Brooks added in a joint warning to North Korea, with whom the allies maintain an uneasy cease-fire because a peace treaty was never agreed to after the 1950-53 Korean War.
“We are able to change our choice when ordered by our alliance’s national leaders. It would be a grave mistake for anyone to believe anything to the contrary,” Brooks insisted.
Earlier in the day, Pyongyang’s state-run KCNA news agency reported the North’s latest test confirmed the ability to fire an ICBM “capable of carrying a large-sized heavy nuclear warhead”.
While Seoul’s Defense Minister Han Min-koo recognized North Korea’s ICBM test when speaking at a parliamentary briefing Wednesday, he remained skeptical whether Pyongyang mastered the atmospheric re-entry technology required to protect a warhead from the intense heat associated with such a launch.
Han said there was no evidence to prove the North’s re-entry claim, although KCNA said the missile’s warhead was protected during the test by “heat-resisting features” and “newly developed domestic carbon compound material”.
Meanwhile, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry announced the UN Security Council will hold an emergency meeting Wednesday in New York to discuss Pyongyang’s breach of previous resolutions.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also condemned the launch as “yet another brazen violation of Security Council resolutions and constitutes a dangerous escalation of the situation”.
“The DPRK leadership must cease further provocative actions and comply fully with its international obligations,” he said in a statement published on the UN’s website.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/ZdZBK3
  1. https://goo.gl/fVZpfb
  • https://goo.gl/Lybyzn
  • https://goo.gl/dD1vHR
  • https://goo.gl/ESrCVa
  • https://goo.gl/nV3xj5

You can also read ...

Guterres: Saudi War on Yemen Is ‘Stupid’
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged...
Saudi Arabia Swapping Assets for Freedom of Some Princes, Businessmen
Saudi authorities are striking agreements with some of those...
Accuser Says George H.W. Bush Groped Her During 1992 Reelection Campaign
Former US president George H.W. Bush is facing new allegations...
A banner from Greenpeace reads “Jamaica, let the pig out” —urging the “Jamaica coalition” to reach a conclusion.
Following an unsuccessful round of negotiations between...
Turkey Must Clear Syria’s Afrin of YPG Militia
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey...
Iraqi Forces Retake Last IS-Held Town
Iraqi forces retook on Friday the last town in the country...
S. Korea and the United States, which has about 28,000 troops based in S. Korea, say their exercises are “defensive in nature.”
China said on Thursday a “dual suspension” proposal to handle...
Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe (C) arrives to preside over a student graduation ceremony at Zimbabwe Open University in Harare, Zimbabwe, Nov. 17.
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe attended a university...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Trending

Googleplus