6519
US Afghan Mission Not Over
International

US Afghan Mission Not Over

Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel on Sunday told US troops in Afghanistan their mission was not over as they shift to a scaled-back role training their Afghan counterparts.
At a base near the eastern city of Jalalabad, Hagel said it was crucial the United States and its partners ensure hard-fought progress did not unravel as the US-led force draws down to about 12,500 troops, the AFP reported.
“There are challenges ahead. The job’s not over. This is still a dangerous country in many ways,” he told a gathering of US and Polish soldiers.
“We don’t want to see that tremendous progress that’s been accomplished... we don’t want to see that roll back downhill,” said Hagel who later flew on to Kuwait for the next leg of his overseas trip.
This is his last visit to Afghanistan as defense secretary after resigning last month.

  Ceremonial Ending
The US and NATO ceremonially ended their combat mission in Afghanistan on Monday, 13 years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks sparked their invasion of the country to topple the Taliban-led government.
US Gen. John F. Campbell, commander of NATO and US forces, said that the mission now would transition to a training and support role for Afghanistan’s own security forces, which have led the fight against the Taliban insurgents since mid-2013.
“The Afghan security forces are capable,” Campbell said. “They have to make some changes in the leadership which they’re doing, and they have to hold people accountable.”
From Jan. 1, the coalition will maintain a force of 13,000 troops in Afghanistan, down from a peak around 140,000 in 2011. There are around 15,000 troops now in the country.
The mission ends as the Taliban is increasing its attacks. US President Barack Obama recently allowed US forces to launch operations against both Taliban and al-Qaida militants, broadening the mission of the US forces that will remain in the country after the end of the year.
Violence continued Monday in the country, as suicide bombers launched an assault on a police station in southern Kandahar province. Police killed three suicide bombers, said Samim Akhplwak, the spokesman for the provincial governor. He said casualty figures were unclear.
Campbell said that Afghan security forces, including the army, police and local militias, were capable of securing the country despite record-high casualty figures that have risen 6.5 percent this year, to 4,634 killed in action, compared to 4,350 in 2013. By comparison, some 3,500 foreign forces, including at least 2,210 American soldiers, have been killed since the war began in 2001.
Up to 10,800 US troops will remain in Afghanistan for the first three months of next year, 1,000 more than previously planned as the new mission, called Resolute Support, waits for NATO partners to deploy, said a NATO official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss troop deployments.
As a result, there will be little, if any, net drop in US troop numbers between now and Dec. 31.
Monday’s ceremony was the first of two that will draw a formal close to NATO’s combat mission by Dec. 28.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/u4b9oi

You can also read ...

UN Syria Envoy Urges Opposition to Unite Before Talks
The United Nations envoy for Syria urged disparate Syrian...
Mueller Investigating Kushner’s Contacts With Foreign Leaders
US special counsel Robert Mueller’s team of investigators are...
Saad al-Hariri (R) talks with President Michel Aoun while attending a military parade to celebrate  the 74th anniversary of Lebanon’s independence in Beirut, Nov. 22.
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Saad Hariri announced Wednesday he...
“Butcher of Bosnia” Found Guilty of Genocide
UN judges Wednesday sentenced former Bosnian Serbian commander...
US Warns Citizens Against Travelling to Saudi Arabia
The US State Department has cautioned its citizens “to...
German President Urges Greens, FDP Leaders to Restart Coalition Talks
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has been meeting with...
Turkey Orders Detention of 216 People in Post-Coup ProbeIn the aftermath of the coup, more than 50,000 people have been jailed.
Turkish authorities have issued detention warrants for 216...
More than 600,000 Rohingya have fled Buddhist-majority Myanmar since late August this year for neighboring Bangladesh.
Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who fled to...

Trending

Googleplus