64229
Turkey Crackdown Continues
Turkey Crackdown Continues

Turkey Crackdown Continues

Turkey Crackdown Continues

Turkish police detained 53 former employees of the Istanbul Stock Exchange on Friday over alleged links to the US-based cleric accused of orchestrating last July’s attempted coup.
Prosecutors have ordered the detention of 102 people as part of the investigation. Ankara has blamed the network of the cleric Fethullah Gulen for the failed coup. Gulen has denied involvement, Reuters reported.
Dawn raids were launched on 70 addresses, targeting suspects who were removed from their posts at Borsa Istanbul in the wake of the attempted putsch on July 15, 2016.
Some 49,000 people have been formally arrested in relation to the failed coup, out of 150,000 people investigated. About 145,000 civil servants, security personnel and academics have also been suspended or sacked as part of a related purge.
These arrests have affected all strata and raised European concerns about a wave of authoritarianism drowning any democratic voice of dissent.
Turkish police arrested the online editor of Cumhuriyet newspaper on Friday, an unidentified police official said.
Oguz Guven, the editor-in-chief of Cumhuriyet.com.tr, was taken to Istanbul police headquarters, the official said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
The official said an arrest warrant was issued for Guven after the online edition published an article about the death of Mustafa Alper, Denizli Province’s chief prosecutor who was killed in a car crash on Wednesday.
Early on Friday, Guven tweeted, “I am being taken into custody”, without elaborating further.
A statement on Cumhuriyet’s website said the newspaper was not given reasons for Guven’s arrest.
According to state-run Anadolu Agency, 12 Cumhuriyet journalists and executives are currently in prison facing “terror” charges.
Scores of opposition media organizations have been shut down since the government acquired emergency powers following the failed coup last year.
Cumhuriyet, known for its independent reporting, received international attention in 2015 when it reported on a fleet of Syria-bound trucks, allegedly sent by the country’s intelligence agency, carrying weapons to Syrian anti-government fighters.
For that report, Can Dundar, Cumhuriyet’s previous editor-in-chief, was sentenced to nearly six years for publishing state secrets.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/WsfVak
  1. https://goo.gl/sgHY3G
  • https://goo.gl/A5WBIc
  • https://goo.gl/8XcwYw
  • https://goo.gl/CswGei
  • https://goo.gl/ZFIzFA

You can also read ...

US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley delivers remarks to the press together with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, announcing the withdrawal in Washington on June 19.
The United States has withdrawn from the United Nations' top...
Kim Jong-un (R) inspecting an honor guard while accompanied by Chinese President Xi Jinping during a welcoming ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on June 19.
Kim Jong-un declared North Korea’s unstinting “friendship,...
Theresa May
British Prime Minister Theresa May was to face a showdown with...
Donald Trump Loses Top Operations Official
Joe Hagin, the White House official who orchestrated logistics...
Taliban Kill 30 Afghan Soldiers
Taliban militants killed 30 Afghan soldiers and captured a...
The European Union’s asylum office says the number of people...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Trending

Googleplus