51306
Donald Trump
International

Senior Republicans Condemn Trump’s Obscenities

Senior Republicans have condemned obscene comments Donald Trump made about women in a 2005 videotape. In the video, posted by the Washington Post, Trump is heard telling TV host Billy Bush “you can do anything” to women “when you’re a star”.
Trump later issued an apology: “I said it. I was wrong, I apologize. I pledge to be a better man.”
In a filmed statement on his Facebook page, he added that the videotape was a “distraction” from more important political issues, BBC reported.
Earlier on Friday, when the video first emerged, he had dismissed it as “locker room banter” and added “Bill Clinton has said far worse to me.”
He attacked the former president in his Facebook apology. “I’ve said some foolish things, but there’s a big difference between the words and actions of other people,” he said.
“Bill Clinton has actually abused women. And Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims. We will discuss this more in the coming days.”
After the video became public on Friday evening, senior Republicans were harsh in their condemnation of Trump’s comments.
House Speaker Paul Ryan rescinded his invitation to Trump to attend the Republican Fall Fest in his home state of Wisconsin this weekend. Trump said that his vice presidential running mate Mike Pence would represent him at the Wisconsin event.
Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said the comments were “repugnant”, adding that Trump “needs to apologize directly to women and girls everywhere”.
Another senior Republican, John McCain, said there were “no excuses for Donald Trump’s offensive and demeaning comments.”
The video has emerged two days before Trump takes part in the second presidential debate with his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton. The two candidates will be in St Louis for the televised encounter, with polling day only a month away.
The clip was part of unaired footage of an Access Hollywood segment ahead of Trump’s appearance on the soap opera Days of Our Lives.
Trump issued a statement shortly after the footage was leaked.
“This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago,” the statement read.
“Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course—not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended.”
For his part, Bush said he was “embarrassed and ashamed” at the contents of the video.
“It’s no excuse, but this happened 11 years ago—I was younger, less mature and acted foolishly in playing along. I’m very sorry.”
Hillary Clinton described the comments as “horrific”.
“We cannot allow this man to become president,” she posted on Twitter.
Trump has said he will not bring up stories about Bill Clinton’s infidelities in this Sunday’s US presidential debate after previously threatening to do so.
House Speaker Paul Ryan said: “I am sickened by what I heard today. I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests.”

Short URL : https://goo.gl/voPdtX
  1. https://goo.gl/Gf7UWw
  • https://goo.gl/ar8wXV
  • https://goo.gl/gRwKqx
  • https://goo.gl/oAYoWT
  • https://goo.gl/GZhgT2

You can also read ...

US Chief of Staff Kelly (L) and National Security Adviser McMaster
Longstanding friction between US President Donald Trump and...
Ivanka Trump to Push for “Maximum Pressure” on N. Korea
Ivanka Trump told South Korea’s president on Friday that she...
Saudi Minister Tells Germany It Will Find Weapons Elsewhere
In an interview with German news agency DPA, Saudi Arabia’s...
UN Wants Prosecution for South Sudan War Crimes
A UN rights commission in South Sudan said Friday there was...
Australia’s Scandal-Hit Deputy PM Quits
Australia’s scandal-hit deputy leader Barnaby Joyce announced...
Turkey Dismisses Dutch Armenian Genocide Vote
Turkey has dismissed the Dutch Parliament’s vote to recognize...
Russia Will Consider Ceasefire in Syria
Russia is ready to back a UN Security Council resolution...
Myanmar Bulldozes Rohingya Villages After Cleansing Campaign
Myanmar has bulldozed at least 55 villages that were emptied...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Trending

Googleplus