49020
Duterte Declares “State of Lawlessness” After Bomb Kills 14
Duterte Declares “State of Lawlessness” After Bomb Kills 14

Duterte Declares “State of Lawlessness” After Bomb Kills 14

Duterte Declares “State of Lawlessness” After Bomb Kills 14

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte declared a nationwide “state of lawlessness” on Saturday after suspected Abu Sayyaf extremists detonated a bomb that killed 14 people and wounded about 70 in his southern hometown.
Duterte, who inspected the scene of Friday night’s attack at a night market in downtown Davao city, said his declaration did not amount to an imposition of martial law. It would allow troops to be deployed in urban centers to back up the police in setting up checkpoints and increasing patrols, AP reported.
An Abu Sayyaf spokesman, Abu Rami, claimed the blast near the Jesuit-run Ateneo de Davao University and a five-star hotel, but Duterte said investigators were looking at other possible suspects, including drug syndicates, which he has targeted in a bloody crackdown. “These are extraordinary times and I supposed that I’m authorized to allow the security forces of this country to do searches,” Duterte told reporters at the scene of the attack, asking the public to cooperate and be vigilant.
“We’re trying to cope up with a crisis now. There is a crisis in this country involving drugs, extrajudicial killings and there seems to be an environment of lawless violence,” said Duterte, who served as mayor of Davao for years before he was elected to the presidency in June.
The attack came as Philippine forces were on alert amid an ongoing military offensive against Abu Sayyaf extremists in southern Sulu province, which intensified last week after the militants beheaded a kidnapped villager.
The militants threatened to launch an unspecified attack after the military said 30 of the gunmen were killed in the weeklong offensive.
Rami is the son-in-law of Mohammad Said, an influential militant commander who used the nom de guerre Amah Maas and was killed in the ongoing Sulu offensive. Davao Vice Mayor Paulo Duterte, the president’s son, also told reporters that militants linked to the self-styled Islamic State terrorist group had threatened the progressive city. Some commanders of the Abu Sayyaf, which is blacklisted by the United States and the Philippines as a terrorist organization for deadly bombings, ransom kidnappings and beheadings, have pledged allegiance to IS.
The military, however, says there has been no evidence of a direct collaboration and militant action may have been aimed at bolstering their image after years of combat setbacks.
Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said the bomb appeared to have been made from a mortar round and doctors reported many of the victims had shrapnel wounds.

 

Short URL : http://goo.gl/C235Z9
  1. http://goo.gl/9leXQy
  • http://goo.gl/weV2XW
  • http://goo.gl/hif2PT
  • http://goo.gl/Tr21PT
  • http://goo.gl/01lhXp

You can also read ...

Theresa May
British Prime Minister Theresa May warned her divided party on...
Israeli Raids Kill 2 Palestinian  Teenagers in Gaza
At least two teenagers in the Gaza Strip have been killed by...
Haiti Prime Minister Resigns
Prime Minister of Haiti Jack Guy Lafontant has resigned after...
EU’s Mogherini Visits Libya  to Reopen Bloc’s Mission
Federica Mogherini, the European Union’s foreign policy chief...
US and North Korean officials met Sunday to discuss the return...
Protests Erupt in Chicago After Man Killed by Police
Protesters chanted and threw rocks at Chicago police Saturday...
Civilian Deaths in War-Torn Afghanistan Hit Record High
The number of Afghan civilians killed in the country’s long-...

Trending

Googleplus