48000
A hospital supported by Doctors Without Borders is seen after it was hit by a Saudi-led airstrike in the northern  town of Abs, Yemen, on Aug. 16.
A hospital supported by Doctors Without Borders is seen after it was hit by a Saudi-led airstrike in the northern  town of Abs, Yemen, on Aug. 16.

US Withdraws Staff Helping Saudis Bombard Yemen

An annual UN report on children and armed conflict said the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for 60% of child deaths and injuries in Yemen last year

US Withdraws Staff Helping Saudis Bombard Yemen

The US military has withdrawn from Saudi Arabia its personnel, who were coordinating with the Saudi-led air campaign in Yemen, and sharply reduced the number of staff elsewhere who were assisting in that planning.
Fewer than five US service people are now assigned full-time to the “Joint Combined Planning Cell,” which was established last year to coordinate US support, including air-to-air refueling of coalition jets and limited intelligence-sharing, Lieutenant Ian McConnaughey, a US Navy spokesman in Bahrain, told Reuters.
That is down from a peak of about 45 staff members who were dedicated to the effort full-time in Riyadh and elsewhere, he said.
The June staff withdrawal, which US officials say followed a lull in airstrikes in Yemen earlier this year, reduces Washington’s day-to-day involvement in advising a campaign that has come under increasing scrutiny for causing civilian casualties.
A Pentagon statement issued after Reuters disclosed the withdrawal acknowledged that the JCPC, as originally conceived, had been “largely shelved” and that ongoing support was limited, despite renewed fighting this summer.
“The cooperation that we’ve extended to Saudi Arabia since the conflict escalated again is modest and it is not a blank check,” Pentagon spokesman Adam Stump said in a statement.
US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the reduced staffing was not due to the growing international outcry over civilian casualties in the 16-month civil war that has killed more than 6,500 people in Yemen, about half of them civilians.
But the Pentagon, in some of its strongest language yet, also acknowledged concerns about the conflict, which has brought Yemen close to famine and cost more than $14 billion in damage to infrastructure and economic losses.
“Even as we assist the Saudis regarding their territorial integrity, it does not mean that we will refrain from expressing our concern about the war in Yemen and how it has been waged,” Stump said.
“In our discussions with the Saudi-led coalition, we have pressed the need to minimize civilian casualties.”
A spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Asseri, declined to confirm details about the positioning of US military personnel, but played down such moves.
“The relationship between the kingdom and the US is a strategic one. If true, this move reflects something at a tactical level,” Asseri told Reuters. “The US may move its assets, but that doesn’t have any impact on the bilateral relationship between the countries.”

  Hospital Strike
Since the campaign began, the US military has conducted an average of two refueling sorties every day and provided limited intelligence support to the coalition. That assistance continues, officials said.
Still, the Pentagon has long distanced itself from the Saudi-led coalition’s decisions on targeting.
“At no point did US military personnel provide direct or implicit approval of target selection or prosecution,” Stump said.
The JCPC had also largely wrapped up an earlier effort to advise the Saudi-led coalition on steps to prevent civilian casualties, the Pentagon said.
An annual UN report on children and armed conflict said the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for 60% of child deaths and injuries in Yemen last year. Saudi Arabia has said the report is based on inaccurate information.
On Tuesday, a coalition airstrike hit a hospital operated by medical aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres in Yemen, killing 19 people and prompting the group to evacuate staff from six hospitals. MSF cited a “loss of confidence in the Saudi-led coalition to prevent fatal attacks.”
US Representative Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California and a colonel in the Air Force Reserve, said he believed such strikes could help galvanize votes for limiting arms transfers to Saudi Arabia.
“When its repeated airstrikes that have now killed children, doctors, newlyweds, patients, at some point you just have to say: Either Saudi Arabia is not listening to the United States or they just don’t care,” Lieu said.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/23i7id
  1. http://goo.gl/83Sq4J
  • http://goo.gl/NxJBo4
  • http://goo.gl/nU5YkN
  • http://goo.gl/71xZky
  • http://goo.gl/Xud9Qh

You can also read ...

UK Labour Leader Bans Saudi Arabia From Party Conference
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to bar Saudi Arabia...
No Food, No Shelter, Rohingya Suffer in Bangladesh
Hundreds of Rohingya, including children, were jostling to get...
Nawaz Sharif’s Party Clinches Local Election Victory
The wife of ousted Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has...
Turkish tanks have taken up position on the Turkish-Iraqi border.
The Turkish army kicked off a military drill near the border...
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un watches the launch of a Hwasong-12 missile in this undated photo released  by North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Sept. 16.
The US military staged bombing drills with South Korea over...
Abadi Formally Demands Kurdistan Region Suspend Independence Vote
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said on Monday he had...
Wind Storm Kills Eight in Romania
A storm packing powerful winds ripped off roofs and toppled...
Dozens Arrested as US City Readies for More Protests
Hundreds of police officers in full riot gear responded to the...

Trending

Googleplus