43234
Ban Chides Saudis Over UN Blacklist Removal
International

Ban Chides Saudis Over UN Blacklist Removal

UN chief Ban Ki-moon has accused Riyadh of exerting “undue pressure” to get the Saudi-led battle group in Yemen deleted from a UN child violator blacklist. He said Saudi funding for millions of children was at stake.
Ban said his removal “temporarily” of the Saudi-led group from the blacklist pending a review had been “one of the most painful and difficult decisions I have had to make”.
He did not explicitly say the Saudi-led group would again be listed, but said he stood by the child casualty figures for Yemen.
“We will assess the complaints that have been made, but the content will not change,” Ban said, referring to the original listing, AFP reported.
Millions of children included in UN aid projects, such as those in Palestinian areas, South Sudan and Syria would have suffered “grievously” if the UN had been denied Saudi funding, Ban said.
“Because of this, you can’t burn down the whole house,” he said.
In its annual report on children and armed conflict published last week, the UN had concluded that the Saudi-led coalition active in Yemen was responsible for 60% of the 785 children killed in Yemen last year.
Ban’s public reaction on Thursday followed “fierce” criticism from rights groups that said caving in to Saudi pressure had damaged the world body’s credibility.
The UN blacklist of child rights violators published on Monday had omitted the Saudi-led coalition. That accompanying report had said 1,953 youngsters were killed or injured in Yemen last year—a sixfold increase in child casualties compared to 2014.
Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador at the UN Abdullah al-Mouallimi told reporters after Ban made his statement on Thursday that the UN decision to remove the Saudi-led group from the list had been “final, irreversible and unconditional”.
Mouallimi denied that Saudi Arabia had used “threats or intimidation” or talked about defunding the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, “or anything else for that matter”.
The annual report stems from a 1999 UN Security Council decision.
The controversy over adding the Saudi-led coalition follows a similar uproar last year over the decision to exclude Israel from the blacklist, despite the deaths of some 500 children in 2014 as Israel clashed with Palestinians over Gaza.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/hXh7lX
  1. http://goo.gl/kksGAJ
  • http://goo.gl/B5Vk9v
  • http://goo.gl/zgm4KV
  • http://goo.gl/5wjE6f
  • http://goo.gl/86SqCD

You can also read ...

Putin, Merkel Discuss Defense Against US Sanctions Drive
Sanctions imposed by the US President Donald Trump...
Forming Government Far Off After Iraq Election
The final results of Iraq's elections confirmed Saturday a...
Chinese Strategic Bombers in Action
The Chinese air force has for the first time landed several...
10 Dead in Texas School Shooting
Ten people were killed and 10 wounded in a shooting Friday...
Trump Taps Adm. Harris as Ambassador to South Korea
President Donald Trump announced his intent to nominate...
Rights Groups Decry Saudi Women Activists’ Arrests
International rights groups have condemned the arrests this...
The scene of the Friday plane crash near Havana, Cuba
More than 100 people were killed when a Boeing 737 crashed...
Bombing at Afghan Cricket Match
At least eight people were killed in a series of bomb...

Trending

Googleplus