43056
Saudi Coalition in Yemen Removed  From UN Rights Blacklist 
International

Saudi Coalition in Yemen Removed From UN Rights Blacklist 

The United Nations has said it will temporarily remove the coalition from a blacklist following the deaths of hundreds of minors in Yemen last year. Riyadh had warned its inclusion may be “counterproductive” for peace.

The UN said on Monday that it had temporarily removed Saudi Arabia from the child rights blacklist, while a review of the facts was conducted, AP reported.

A report on children and armed conflict, published on Thursday, included the Saudi-led coalition as one of the parties guilty of grave violations against children. It said the coalition was responsible for killing 510 children and wounding another 667.

However, following a complaint from Saudi Arabia, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon agreed to a joint review that would involve the coalition, examining the cases cited in the report.

“Pending the conclusions of the joint review, the secretary-general removes the listing of the coalition in the report’s annex,” Ban’s spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said in a statement.

Saudi Arabia had reacted with outrage to the coalition’s inclusion, with the Saudi ambassador to the UN, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, saying he was “deeply disappointed” and “disturbed”.

The ambassador said that keeping the coalition on the blacklist would be “counterproductive for the purposes of the peace negotiations on Yemen”.

“We were wrongly placed on the list,” he told reporters. “We know that this removal is final.”

Mouallimi admitted “there were some collateral damages from time to time,” but he claimed the coalition had played a “positive role” in Yemen.

The coalition started its military campaign in Yemen in March last year, seeking to prevent the Houthi fighters and troops loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh from taking power.

Since last March, some 6,000 people—about half of them civilians—have been killed in Yemen, according to UN figures.

Last year, the United Nations left Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas off the blacklist, after they had been included in an earlier draft, but criticized Israel over its 2014 military operations.

“After giving a similar pass to Israel last year, the UN secretary-general’s office has hit a new low by capitulating to Saudi Arabia’s brazen pressure,” said Philippe Bolopion, deputy director for global advocacy at Human Rights Watch. “Yemen’s children deserve better.”

Short URL : http://goo.gl/ObB319
  1. http://goo.gl/mZLEqL
  • http://goo.gl/eSbXiD
  • http://goo.gl/8JKEtD
  • http://goo.gl/HYmUwH
  • http://goo.gl/3KtbnT

Trending

Googleplus