41873
2nd Chibok Schoolgirl Rescued
International

2nd Chibok Schoolgirl Rescued

A second girl kidnapped alongside more than 200 schoolgirls by Boko Haram nearly two years ago has been rescued, Nigeria’s army has said.
The first rescuee earlier met the country’s President Muhammadu Buhari.
An emailed statement carried by PR Nigeria, an official government agency, cited army spokesman Sani Usman “confirming the rescue of another Chibok girl this evening”.
Some 57 of the 276 girls abducted from the remote town in northeast Nigeria on April 14, 2014, escaped during the abduction, but parents of the remaining 219 accused then-president Goodluck Jonathan of not doing enough to find their daughters, AFP reported.
The abduction brought worldwide attention to the conflict, although until Amina and the latest student were found, there were few signs that any release was imminent.
Amina Ali Darsha Nkeki, the first girl to be rescued, was found by soldiers working with a vigilante group on Tuesday near Damboa, south of Maiduguri in the remote northeast. Officials confirmed Amina was one of the 219 girls abducted from the government school in Chibok in April 2014.
The governor’s comments came shortly after Amina met Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who voiced fresh hope for the recovery of the more than 200 others still being held.
Buhari said he was “delighted” at her release and the government was doing “all it can to rescue the remaining Chibok girls”.
The government would, he said, make it a priority that Amina, who has a four-month old baby, is able to return to school.
Amina is said to have told her relatives at a brief reunion at the family home in Mbalala, near Chibok, that most of the girls were still in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno state, but that six had died.
After Amina was discovered, the army said it had detained a suspected Boko Haram militant called Mohammed Hayatu who said he was her husband.
“We believe that in the coming weeks we shall recover the rest of the girls,” Governor Kashim Shettima told reporters. “The military is already moving into the forest.”
The governor of Borno state, in which Chibok is located, said the army was drawing up plans and moving into a Boko Haram forest stronghold to rescue the remaining girls.
Boko Haram has been waging a seven-year insurgency to set up a state in the area. The militant group, which last year pledged loyalty to the self-styled Islamic State terrorist group, still regularly stages suicide bombings and has used kidnapping as a weapon of war in the conflict.
The extremist group has killed at least 20,000 people, forced 2.6 million from their homes and devastated the northeast since 2009.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/c7KdYg
  1. http://goo.gl/HPZo3F
  • http://goo.gl/62Gi2k
  • http://goo.gl/GuaPVO
  • http://goo.gl/r9Qas5
  • http://goo.gl/LjgbOr

You can also read ...

Top German Gun Co. Not to Sell Weapons to Crisis Regions
German gun manufacturer Heckler & Koch vowed to stop...
Sanders: Saudi Rulers Spread,  Fund Terror Around the World
Saudi Arabia is “not an ally of the united States,” according...
UN Security Council Warns Against Kurdish Referendum in Iraq
The UN Security Council on Thursday warned that a referendum...
Russia Says Will Target US-Backed Fighters in Syria if Provoked
Russia warned the United States on Thursday it would target US...
France Renews Half of Senators’ Seats, a Test for Macron
On Sunday, France will elect nearly half its senate, in a vote...
North Korea May Consider Hydrogen Bomb Test
North Korea said on Friday it might test a hydrogen bomb over...
Ship Carrying Migrants Sinks Off Turkish Coast, Kills 15
Fifteen people drowned when a fishing boat carrying migrants...
Children make up about 60% of more than 430,000 people who have poured in to Bangladesh.
Bangladesh’s prime minister has accused Myanmar of ethnic...

Trending

Googleplus