40545
US Strike on Afghan Hospital Not a War Crime
International

US Strike on Afghan Hospital Not a War Crime

A deadly US airstrike in Afghanistan last year that destroyed a hospital run by Doctors Without Borders did not amount to a war crime but was caused by human error, equipment failure and other factors, a US military report released on Friday concluded.
Forty-two people were killed and 37 were wounded during an Oct. 3 strike that destroyed the hospital run by the international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), known as Doctors Without Borders in English, Reuters reported.
An initial US investigation in November found that US forces had meant to target a different building in the city of Kunduz and were led off-track by a technical error in their aircraft’s mapping system.
“The investigation concluded that certain personnel failed to comply with the rules of engagement and the law of armed conflict,” General Joseph Votel, commander of US Central Command, said in a news briefing on Friday to release the final report.
“However, the investigation did not conclude that these failures amounted to a war crime.”
Votel said this is because none of the service members was aware that they were striking a hospital.
The incident was caused by “unintentional human errors, process errors, and equipment failures”, he said. Fatigue and “high operational tempo” were also factors, he added.
MSF said the disciplinary action announced on Thursday against 16 service members over the airstrike, including a general, was too light.
It is “out of proportion to the destruction of a protected medical facility”, MSF said.
The report said condolence payments had been made to more than 170 individuals and families, and $5.7 million had been approved to reconstruct the MSF facility.
Votel said $3,000 had been paid for those injured and $6,000 for those killed.
Many victims of the strike in Afghanistan said in interviews that they were unsatisfied with the findings and actions being taken by the United States.
“There’s a lot of talking without much happening,” said Obaidullah Nazari, who survived in the basement when his brother, a patient at the hospital, died in the attack.
The report said General John Campbell, who headed the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, took action against 12 personnel involved in the strike.
“The actions included suspension and removal from command, letters of reprimand, formal counseling and extensive retraining,” the report said.
The other personnel were investigated by Votel.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/LDKDqr
  1. http://goo.gl/eQz4kR
  • http://goo.gl/RwZl4H
  • http://goo.gl/MqYLKF
  • http://goo.gl/r3WYIf
  • http://goo.gl/WDOxXc

You can also read ...

Imran Khan Eyes Victory in Pakistan Poll
Pakistani cricket star-turned-politician Imran Khan’s party...
South Korean President Moon Jae-in
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un reaffirmed his commitment to "...
Thousands March in France Against Macron Reforms
Tens of thousands of people took to the streets across France...
Emergencies Ahead of Storm Alberto
Alabama, Florida and Mississippi were preparing for states of...
A voter registration center in Kabul on April 23
Afghanistan launched the registration of candidates for...
Colombians Vote for President
For decades, Colombians voted with an eye on the bloody...

Trending

Googleplus