34326
Saudi-Born Istanbul Bomber Planned New Year’s Eve Attack
International

Saudi-Born Istanbul Bomber Planned New Year’s Eve Attack

Nabil Fadli, a Saudi-born Syrian who killed 10 German tourists in a suicide bombing in Istanbul, was planning a major attack on New Year’s Eve celebrations in Ankara but changed targets after the plot was foiled, two senior Turkish officials have told Reuters.
Fadli, born in Saudi Arabia in 1988 where his father was teaching, fought in the ranks of the self-styled Islamic State terrorist group in Syria and was at one stage captured and tortured, possibly by a Syrian Kurdish militia, before entering Turkey last month, the officials said. A Kurdish official in Syria denied he had entered Kurdish hands.
Fadli registered as refugee with authorities in Istanbul on Jan. 5 before blowing himself up a week later among groups of tourists in Sultanahmet Square near the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, striking at the heart of Turkey’s tourism industry.
Officials working to piece together Fadli’s movements before the bombing said his plans had changed after two of his accomplices were caught preparing a suicide attack on a square in Ankara where crowds gather to celebrate the New Year.
At the time, Fadli himself had not raised any red flags with the authorities because he was not on any Turkish or international watch lists of militant suspects.
Four other people who registered with the authorities in Istanbul on Jan. 5 alongside Fadli have also been detained and are thought to have been part of a team that planned the attack, the senior Turkish security official said.
It was not clear why Fadli registered with the authorities days before carrying out the bombing, but some officials have suggested a deliberate attempt to complicate Turkish and European efforts to cope with the influx of Syrian refugees.
Turkish officials said they believed that Fadli had at some stage been captured and tortured, and his toe nails removed, possibly by the Kurdish YPG militia or its political wing, the PYD.
Idris Nassan, a senior official in the Syrian district of Kobani which borders Turkey and is controlled by a majority PYD administration, denied Fadli had ever been held by the group or that there had been any prisoner swaps with IS.
A spokesman for the YPG militia did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/RhYn9n
  1. http://goo.gl/NZKUD0
  • http://goo.gl/eHonI8
  • http://goo.gl/DGNf5j
  • http://goo.gl/4EDq6T
  • http://goo.gl/04MsPC

You can also read ...

Brexit Secretary: Britain Won’t Pay Divorce Bill Without Trade Deal
The United Kingdom will refuse to pay a divorce bill if the...
On Africa Tour, China's Xi Pledges Stronger Relations
China's President Xi Jinping pledged during a visit to Senegal...
FBI Believed Trump Campaign Aide Was Recruited by Russians
New documents show that one month before the 2016 US elections...
Duterte to Approve More Autonomous Muslim Region
The indigenous Moro Muslims, a minority population in the...
Armed Standoff at LA Grocery  Store Ends With One Killed
Los Angeles police officers ended a tense standoff Saturday...
FBI Believed Trump Campaign Aide Was Recruited by Russians
New documents show that one month before the 2016 US elections...
Macron Security Aide Scandal Deepens With Minister Under Fire
The most damaging scandal of Emmanuel Macron’s presidency...
Spanish Conservatives Pick Rajoy’s Replacement
Spain’s conservative Popular Party elected communications...

Trending

Googleplus