Israeli Police Storm Al-Aqsa for Third Day

Israeli Police Storm Al-Aqsa for Third DayIsraeli Police Storm Al-Aqsa for Third Day

Palestinians and Israeli forces clashed at Al-Aqsa Mosque for a third straight day, as Israeli forces were seen on the roof of the holy site.

Suleiman Ahmad, the president of Beit-ul-Moqaddas’ Affairs Department, said that at least 17 Palestinians were injured in the clashes early on Tuesday.

“They have placed snipers on the rooftops and are using rubber bullets,” Ahmad said.

Palestinians inside Al-Aqsa threw stones and fireworks at the Israeli forces and set up barricades to prevent them from closing the entrance to the mosque, Al Jazeera reported.

The police forces eventually closed the doors to the mosque with the Palestinians still inside.

Israeli police were trying to allow Jewish activists to tour the courtyards of the mosque, which in the past has stirred angry reactions from Palestinians who fear Israel may change the rules for visiting the Al-Aqsa compound.

 Erdogan Meets Hamas Leader

Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal on Monday briefed Turkey’s president about clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces at Al-Aqsa Mosque, a presidency source said.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan met Meshaal, the group’s political chief, after violence erupted Sunday and continued into Monday at the site in east Beit-ul-Moqaddas, which is revered by Jews and Muslims.

Erdogan strongly condemned the violence, which left dozens injured, the source said on customary condition of anonymity.

During the meeting in Ankara, Meshaal thanked Erdogan for his sensitivity and support.

Addressing the issue Monday, State Department spokesman John Kirby also expressed his concerns and condemned the violence around the al-Aqsa Mosque.

“The United States is deeply concerned by the recent violence and escalating tensions surrounding the Haram al-Sharif, Temple Mount. We strongly condemn all acts of violence,” Kirby said using the names attributed to the area by Arabs and Israelis, respectively.