Egypt to Rebuild Italian Consulate in Cairo

Egypt to Rebuild Italian Consulate in Cairo

Egyptian Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab ordered on Saturday to rebuild Italian Consulate in Cairo that was damaged by a terrorist attack by the Islamic State extremist group earlier in the day, prime minister’s press service said.
On Saturday morning, a car exploded in front of the Italian Consulate, killing one person and injuring at least nine, including three children. No Italian citizens were injured in the attack, Sputnik reported.
The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the explosion.
“Prime minister has instructed the Construction Research Center to examine the scene by the Italian Consulate in Cairo city center in order to restore this historic building and also to study the condition of the nearby houses and [other] constructions,” Mahlab’s press service said.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry added that the country’s government will pay for all the needed works.
The Foreign Ministry also said that Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni will visit Cairo in the nearest future “to discuss issues of bilateral relations and a number of international issues.”
Earlier on Saturday, Gentiloni said the explosion in Cairo was an attack against Italy. He also said Italy would increase security at Italian sites in Cairo and greater Egypt.
Italian Premier Matteo Renzi also spoke with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi after the attack.


Short URL : http://goo.gl/dhyJ3x