International
0

Prosecutor Dismisses Case Against Argentine President

Prosecutor Dismisses Case Against Argentine PresidentProsecutor Dismisses Case Against Argentine President

An Argentine prosecutor on Monday dismissed a case against President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner that she had sought to sabotage an inquiry into the bombing of a Jewish community center in 1994 that killed 85 people in the country’s worst terrorist attack.

“There has been no crime,” prosecutor Javier De Luca said after issuing his decision. The case against Fernandez had already been rejected by two lower courts, DW reported.

Argentina’s top appeals court had assigned De Luca to the case. The prosecutor said his decision was “equivalent to a definitive sentence,” and is likely to mark the end of proceedings against the president.

Prosecutor Alberto Nisman initially leveled the allegations against Fernandez, but he was found dead in his apartment on January 18 with a bullet wound to the head, one day before he was scheduled to testify about his allegations to the Argentine parliament.

His death prompted conspiracy theories involving President Fernandez. Fernandez has strongly denied Nisman’s allegations. Nisman’s death remains unsolved, and investigators say they are viewing the case as a possible homicide or suicide.

 

Financialtribune.com