International
0

2 Charged in Connection With Copenhagen Attacks

2 Charged in Connection With Copenhagen Attacks2 Charged in Connection With Copenhagen Attacks

Two men suspected of helping the gunman behind the deadly attacks in Copenhagen faced a court hearing Monday as Danes mourned the victims of a shooting spree that authorities said may have been inspired by last month’s terror attacks in Paris.

The suspects were accused of helping the gunman evade authorities and get rid of a weapon during the manhunt that ended early Sunday when the attacker was killed in a shootout with police, AP reported.

Two people were killed in the weekend attacks, including a 55 year-old Danish filmmaker attending a public event and a security guard shot in the head outside a synagogue in Copenhagen. Five police officers were wounded in the attacks.

Authorities described the gunman as Omar El-Hussein, a 22-year-old Dane with a history of violence and gang connections.

Denmark’s flag flew from official buildings Monday across the capital. Mourners placed flowers and candles at the cultural center where documentary filmmaker Finn Noergaard was killed and at the synagogue where Dan Uzan, a 37-year-old security guard, was gunned down.

Michael Juul Eriksen, the defense attorney for one of the two men, told reporters they deny allegations of giving the gunman shelter and getting rid of a weapon.

A judge at the hearing will rule on whether to keep the two men in custody.

 

Financialtribune.com