Malaysia Flight MH370 Declared ‘Accident’
Malaysia declared on Thursday the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 an accident, clearing the way for the airline to pay compensation to victims’ relatives while the search for the plane goes on.
The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on March 8 last year, carrying 239 passengers and crew shortly after taking off from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, bound for Beijing.
“We officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident, and that all 239 of the passengers and crew onboard MH370 are presumed to have lost their lives,” Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said in a statement, Reuters reported.
Although no trace of the aircraft has been recovered, radar and satellite data suggested the jet ran out of fuel over the Southern Indian Ocean and that the aircraft was “on the sea floor,” according to Rahman.
Malaysia Airlines was ready to proceed immediately with the compensation process to the next-of-kin of the passengers on the flight, he said.