41940
Russia to Lend Egypt $25b to Build Nuclear Power Plant
Energy

Russia to Lend Egypt $25b to Build Nuclear Power Plant

Russia will loan Egypt $25 billion to finance building and operating a nuclear power plant in the North African country, according to Egyptian media.
Egypt and Russia signed an agreement on November 19 for Russia to build Egypt's first nuclear power plant in Egypt and to extend Egypt a loan to cover the cost of construction, Reuters reported. It was not clear at the time what the deal was worth, but Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi said the loan would be paid off over 35 years.
Egypt will pay an interest rate of 3% annually, according to the country's official gazette. Installment payments will begin on October 15, 2029. "The loan will be used by the Egyptian side for a period of 13 years between 2016-28 ... The Egyptian side will repay loan amounts used over 22 years in 43 installments," the gazette said.
The loan will finance 85% of the value of each contract for the work, services and equipment shipping, the gazette said. Egypt will finance the remaining 15%.
The plant will be built in Dabaa, a site in the north of the country that Egypt has been considering for a nuclear power plant on and off since the 1980s. It is due to be completed in 2022 and the first of its four reactors is expected to begin producing electricity in 2024. Egypt, with a population of 90 million and vast energy requirements, is seeking to diversify its energy sources. As well as a nuclear plant, Sisi has talked of building solar and wind energy facilities in the coming three years to generate around 4,300 megawatts of power.
The country also recently discovered a large reserve of natural gas off the Mediterranean coast.

Short URL : http://goo.gl/A2zimW
  1. http://goo.gl/8l7kKn
  • http://goo.gl/64LA7s
  • http://goo.gl/q06DFA
  • http://goo.gl/ZNd6iA
  • http://goo.gl/LLX5DC

You can also read ...

Shell in Talks to Sell $2b Worth of Nigeria Assets
Royal Dutch Shell Plc is in talks to sell two Nigerian oil...
Germany Suggests India Continue Iran Oil Imports
Speaking to Indian TV, Germany voiced hope that India would...
Japan Will Face Higher Gasoline Prices After Halting Iranian Crude Purchase
Japan’s major oil distributors are considering halting oil...
Argentina to Export Natural Gas to Chile
Argentina will begin exporting natural gas to Chile from...
Egypt Hikes Gas Price by 75%
Egypt said on Saturday it was raising the price of natural gas...
Cheap Fossil Fuels Hinder Renewables Development
The key factor hindering renewable energy development in Iran...
NIDC Indigenizes  Eco-Friendly Well Test Burner
The National Iranian Drilling Company's experts have designed...

Trending

Googleplus