Eni Starts Arctic Production

Eni Starts Arctic Production

Italian firm Eni began producing oil from its Goliat field in the Norwegian Arctic late on Saturday, making it the world's most northerly oilfield in production.
"It started last night," said an Eni spokesman on Sunday. "We have reached an important milestone not only for Eni, but also for the industry and for Norway."
The launch of the field has been delayed several times since the initial planned date of 2012, Reuters reported.
Costs also surged to 46.7 billion crowns ($5.56 billion) from an original estimate of around 30 billion in 2009, when the development plan was approved.
Output from the field is due to peak at around 100,000 barrels of oil per day. The production facility also has storage capacity for 1 million barrels of oil.
Asked about the multiple delays, Eni said Goliat was a "pioneering project" that involved new technology on which the oil industry would build for the future. ENI has a 65% stake in the field, with Norway's Statoil holding the remaining 35%.
But Goliat has been a giant headache for Eni.
“If they had known back then that it would be this expensive, they wouldn’t have gone ahead with it,” said Erik Holm Reiso, a partner at Oslo-based consultant Rystad Energy AS.
Eni needs oil prices to average $95 to $100 a barrel over the production period of 15 years for the project to make a profit, according to Rystad.
Rome-based Eni said its own calculations show a break-even price on Goliat of less than $50.
“When you’ve gotten this far, it would be unreasonable not to go through with the project,” Reiso added. “The capital expenditure has now been sunk and the decision to stop the project now would only be made if they believed oil will stay below $30.”


Short URL : http://goo.gl/09ITn3
  1. http://goo.gl/R3sbrP
  • http://goo.gl/g2Y6Yz
  • http://goo.gl/k2bUZW
  • http://goo.gl/dEUr0a
  • http://goo.gl/Da41Db

You can also read ...

Oil Majors to Gain Clarity on Anti-Russia Sanctions
The Italian oil major Eni will discuss sanctions against...
Russia, Ukraine to Discuss Latest Gas Dispute
Ukraine’s state-held gas company Naftogaz and Russia’s gas...
IOOC to Raise Crude Output
The Iranian Offshore Oil Company, a subsidiary of the National...
Pasargad Energy Development Company will be commissioned to drill 126 wells in Jofeir and Sepehr fields.
In line with policies to help expand domestic companies' scope...
The California state court is seen as more favorable to the cities and counties.
California cities and counties seeking to hold five of the...
Brent, WTI Crude Futures Hit Highest in Two Weeks
Oil prices jumped on Friday, with Brent crude futures hitting...
Iraq Seeks Investors to Build Refinery
Iraq is inviting companies to bid for building a 70,000-bpd...
No Plan to Increase Oil Production in Next 12 Months
Iran does not intend to increase crude output in the next...