Yazd Water Deficit Worsens

Yazd Water Deficit Worsens
Yazd Water Deficit Worsens

Agriculture accounts for 83% of the water used in the arid Yazd Province, head of the provincial water company said.
“Water use in the agro sector is alarmingly inefficient as less than 40% is used properly while the rest (60%) is drained or lost due to evapotranspiration,” Mohammad Mahdi Javadianzadeh was quoted as saying by the Energy Ministry’s news portal.
Sustainable investment in agriculture should be a top priority, he said.
There are 19 plains in the region, of which 16 are in critical conditions due to excessive water extraction from the underground tables.


Subscribe to the Financial Tribune to continue reading this article or Log in to your account if you are already a subscriber.

Find out more about our subsciption plans here.

Add new comment