65648
Leather Exports Down 81%
Leather Exports Down 81%

Leather Exports Down 81%

Leather Exports Down 81%

Due to export duties levied on leather, salambor and wet blue in the fiscal 2012-13, the export of these products plummeted from around $200 million in that year to close to $38 million in the last Iranian year (ended March 20, 2017), registering an 81% decline, the deputy head of Iran Pickled Skin and Leather Producers and Exporters Association said.
"The regulation was ratified to encourage producers to produce and export finished leather, which would bring the country more value added. Yet, those behind it didn't seem to realize that we don't have the required infrastructure and even if we did, our end prices cannot compete in international markets," Mohammad Lahouti was also quoted as saying by the Persian monthly Ayandehnegar as saying.
According to the official, Iran produces 5.5% of the world's light leather (derived from sheep and goat hide), yet this opportunity has been wasted due to mismanagement and a lack of support for the industry.
"About 10% of the local leather production suffice to meet domestic demand and the remaining 90% must be exported. To go through with this, we need government support," he said.

Short URL : https://goo.gl/6nqFe2
  1. https://goo.gl/BN0PwF
  • https://goo.gl/boNZlG
  • https://goo.gl/qMEzta
  • https://goo.gl/TluxmJ
  • https://goo.gl/GRAQju

You can also read ...

Iran's Economic Ties With Qatar Booming, Exports Up 117%
Iran exported $139 million worth of non-oil goods to Qatar...
China relies on oil imports from Iran while Tehran looks to Beijing for investment.
The value of Iran's exports to China during the nine months to...
Representatives of the chambers of commerce of Tehran and Vienna attended a joint event in Austria’s capital Vienna.
At a joint event attended by the 36-strong delegation from...
No Problem With Plane Deal Financing
Iran does not have a problem obtaining financing for its...
Exports to Europe  Rise 107%
The value of Iran’s exports to the European Union from January...
No Restrictions on Bank Sepah’s German Operations
Bank Sepah, the oldest Iranian bank, has denied reports in the...
Tehran, Kiev Discuss Upgrading Aviation Ties
Head of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign...
Yazd Earns $10m in 7 Months
Close to 1.24 million tons of goods worth over $10 million...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Trending

Googleplus