Domestic Economy
0

Tea Production Surges 16% as Harvest Continues

Tea Production Surges 16% as Harvest ContinuesTea Production Surges 16% as Harvest Continues

A total of 78,125 tons of green tea leaves have been purchased by the government from local farmers in the current fiscal year (started March 20), out of which more than 17,578 tons of processed tea have been produced to register a 16% rise compared with the similar period of last year.  
“The government has spent around 2.6 trillion rials [$11 million] on tea purchases. Nearly 68% of the total sum are top-quality tea leaves and the remaining 32% belong to other varieties of leaves,” Habibollah Jahansaz, the head of Iran Tea Organization, was quoted as saying by Mizan Online.
The official noted that more than 135,000 tons of green tea leaves are estimated to be produced in Iran by March 2021 to show a 10% year-on-year increase.
“A total of 30,000 tons of processed tea are expected to be produced this year, which will meet around 30% of domestic demand. The figure shows a 5% year-on-year rise. Top-quality tea makes up 20% of our production and the rest have relatively lower qualities and are sold at more reasonable prices in the market,” he said.

Premium

Subscribe to the Financial Tribune to continue reading this article or Log in to your account if you are already a subscriber.

Find out more about our subsciption plans here.

Add new comment

Financialtribune.com