The three largest remittance-receiving nations are India at $69 billion, China at $64 billion and the Philippines at $33 billion.
The three largest remittance-receiving nations are India at $69 billion, China at $64 billion and the Philippines at $33 billion.

Asia-Pacific Migrant Workers Sent Home $256b in 2017

Asia-Pacific Migrant Workers Sent Home $256b in 2017

Migrant workers from the Asia-Pacific region sent $256 billion home last year, but more needs to be done to cut costs and make money transfers easier, said a United Nations report on Monday.
Remittances, which have risen about 5% since 2008, helped about 320 million family members across the region last year, according to the United Nations’ International Fund for Agricultural Development, Arabian Business reported.
“It is crucial and critical to make sure these flows arrive fast and cheap,” said Pedro de Vasconcelos, a remittance expert at the IFAD. “It is a lifeline for millions of families.”
According to the report, 80 million migrant workers sent money home an average eight to 10 times per year. They usually paid about 7% in charges to use cash-to-cash transfers, which enable money to be sent overseas often without using a personal bank account.
A decade ago, remittances to people in rural areas could cost as much as 20 to 25% in fees, charges and currency exchange rates, said De Vasconcelos. But rates are still too high despite increased competition, he added.
He urged those making and receiving remittances to embrace digital technology such as mobile phones for transferring money, and he predicted that such methods would soon overtake cash-to-cash.
Asia-Pacific is the biggest destination for remittances worldwide, with migrants holding jobs overseas that include construction, domestic work and health care, according to IFAD. About 70% of remittances to the Asia-Pacific region came from Persian Gulf countries, the US and Europe. The three largest remittance-receiving nations were India at $69 billion, China at $64 billion and the Philippines at $33 billion, according to the report.
Remittances contributed an average 60% to a receiving household’s income, and the total was more than 10 times the amount of development aid received in the Asia-Pacific region.
About 70% of remittances are spent on basic needs like food, clothes, health care and education for families that are mostly in rural areas, according to the report. The remaining 30%, or $77 billion, is often saved and invested in income-generating activities or investments, IFAD said.


Short URL : https://goo.gl/mh6fSz
  1. https://goo.gl/cWfk5L
  • https://goo.gl/Up8aEB
  • https://goo.gl/hMGoJk
  • https://goo.gl/r7bsYn
  • https://goo.gl/NyAFfA

You can also read ...

Switzerland has the smallest ratio with 7.2% of GDP.
The shadow economy in Jordan accounted for 17.38% of the GDP...
The Bank of Italy revised its growth estimates down to 1.3% for 2018, and to 1% for 2019.
Italy's already weak growth forecasts were revised downwards...
Saudi Arabia Facing Uphill Battles
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s Vision 2030 scheme...
The popular Tesla Model S is due to sell by the end of this month in China, at which point the price will go up about $20,900.
More than a week has passed since the US and China fired the...
Airbus, AirAsia Discussing $23 Billion Deal
The Malaysian airline, already the second-biggest customer for...
German Cabinet Warned of Economic Risks
The chief of Germany’s central bank, Jens Weidmann, warned the...
Pakistan Raises Key Interest Rate
Pakistan’s central bank on Saturday raised interest rates by...
The bankruptcy of investment bank Lehman Brothers on September...

Add new comment

Read our comment policy before posting your viewpoints